I’ve always been a bit on the lanky side, reaching my current height of just under 5’10 *I think drinking coffee stunted my growth so I’m 1/4 inch shy 😉* by the time I started 8th grade. Height certainly has it’s advantages, especially when I was swimming competitively, but I still used to be a bit self conscious about it. I think partly because society sends the message that small and petite=feminine and partly because most most of us go through a phase where we want the opposite of what we have. (Like how some women with straight hair wishing they had curly hair and vice versa). I don’t remember exactly when it happened, but at some point in my life I stopped being insecure about it, and started to embrace my Amazonian stature. I can honestly say (now) that I LOVE being a tall woman! So the other day when I came across an article about “short girl problems”, I laughed. I decided to come up with my own list in response of issues that tall girls deal have.
Tall Girl Problems:
1. Random strangers walking up to me and saying things like, “Oh my god you’re tall!!” Then feeling unsure when I respond with something like, “Umm, yeah?” Followed by *awkward silence* I’m never really sure if it’s a statement or a question!
2. Constantly being asked if I played basketball or volleyball in school. Then the look of disappointment on that person’s face when I tell them no. I somehow feel like I let them down by never living up to my height potential.
3. Accidentally playing footsies during meetings, when I get tired of bumping my knees trying to cross my legs, and just want to stretch out a little. “Whoops…sorry about that!” *Really, it was an accident…be easy with those eyebrows mister!!*
4. Having people always ask you to reach for random things from high places. Not like I’m going to be a jerk and say no….plus it’s the perfect opportunity for me to show off! Sure I can reach that can of soup on the top shelf! And I don’t even have to stand on my tippy toes! *Mmmm hmmm, that’s right!!* 😉
5. Trying to find clothes that fit is a pain! My pants look like high waters, dresses look like shirts, all sweaters and jackets are 3/4 sleeves on me, and finding shorts that don’t expose butt cheek is ALMOST impossible. As clothing sizes go up, they only get wider not longer. You think with all the stores that cater to petite women more would cater to tall women as well! I can usually find pants in long lengths, but all of me is tall NOT just my legs!
6. Trying to find cute shoes for my totally proportionate but “large” feet is not any easier. And to add insult to injury, I have been told that a store “doesn’t carry shoes that big!” Sheesh, not ONLY do I not get an adorable new pair of strappy sandals, I have to have a total stranger call me a big foot! Haha
7. Having to bend in pictures with my shorter girlfriends so I don’t get my head cut out of the picture!
8. Hugging shorter people can be awkward because their head is at my chest level!
9. Having to bend to wash my hair in some showers (Mostly in women’s locker rooms) because I am taller than the shower head. (Noticing the pattern here, being tall=lots of bending=horrible posture!)
10. (This one was while I was still single)…Having my girlfriends try to set me up with one of their guy friends who would be perfect for me because “he’s tall…” *waiting for it* Nope, that’s it. Me, “Wow! We have so much in common!” I guess they assume tall people should date each other so they can talk about how tall they are?
And then maybe even blog about it together! 😉
Are you a tall girl? Can you relate? Do you have anything to add to the list?