Last week I celebrated my 34th birthday, which means I am officially in my mid-30s! I remember hearing something about how you’re never supposed to ask a lady about her age or her weight but I’ve never had a problem talking about either….because both are just a number and that number is totally relative. Do I feel young? Do I feel healthy? Absolutely! And now that I feel like I have “broken in my 30s”, I can honestly say that my 30s are shaping up to be the best decade so far! Something happened when I turned 30….I learned that there is no such thing as grown ups, we all are just winging it! I realized that despite many missteps, somehow my life had ended up in a pretty good place and I had this sudden, new found confidence and comfort in my own skin. Part of me wishes I could go back and tell the 20 something me a thing or two, but then I wouldn’t be who I am or where I am today. No regrets about my past, even when I’ve made “catastrophic” mistakes, had my heart broken or broken hearts, was insecure, thought I was fat, cried too much, did too many tequila shots….it was all a learning experience and that is what our 20s are for!
So….what is it that makes being in my 30s so awesome??
- Being comfortable in my own skin, including being o.k. with my not so cool dance moves! I know I mentioned this one before, but it’s worth being redundant because confidence really is the BEST thing about being in my 30s!!
- Understanding and appreciating that being a mommy is the single most important thing that I am going to do with my life! I found out I was preggers with Lana just a few days before my 23rd birthday and to be honest I was TERRIFIED! Raising a mini-me isn’t always easy, but it’s always been worth it!
- Reaching a point in my life that I know what matters and what I want out of a relationship, which allowed me to connect with my second life love (aside from Lana). Danny makes me happy and makes me laugh every single day!
- Having great girlfriends and remembering to make time for them! Life experience has taught me…don’t get so wrapped up in a “boyfriend” that you neglect other relationships and NEVER trust a girl that doesn’t have a single girlfriend.
- Reaching a point in my career that I have the time and can afford to travel (some). One of my bucket list items is to see as many places in this world as possible!
- Learning to appreciate art and other things of beauty. It seems like most of my free time in my 20s was spent in clubs/bars/at parties….in my 30s I realized there is so much more to life!
- Having the courage to be bold and express my own unique style! I’ve literally had my hair dyed every possible color in my 30s and have tossed the high heels and spandex tops in favor for flip flops and retro t-shirts!
- Learning how to take care of my body and being in the best shape of my life. Since turning 30 I’ve paid more attention to eating well, limiting alcohol, exercising, and have done lots of running. I feel like my endurance and fitness are peaking in my 30s, thanks to treating my body a little kinder!
Anyone else in their 30s feel the same way? What has been your favorite decade so far? And why?
While I know it’s totally random, I’m going to throw my training log for last week in here because it was overall uneventful, and definitely does not warrant a full post. I’m continuing to increase my mileage and focus on stretching/cross training and still feeling good/pain free. Also a little bored not having a race to help guide my training and keep me focused so I’ve started looking at 2015 races and will be updating “My Races” section of my blog soon!
- Monday: Run 3 miles/Stretching
- Tuesday: Rest
- Wednesday: Rest
- Thursday: Run 3 miles/stretching
- Friday: Run 3 miles/stretching
- Saturday: 20 minutes stairmill, 3 mile run, 30 minutes weight training (Full Body)/Stretching
- Sunday: 45 minutes spinner/bike, 50 minute Power Yoga
Total Weekly Miles: 12
Total 2015 Miles: 21